There is a correspondence between the number of intercostal vein and the number of intercostal arteries. Two anterior intercostal veins and 1 posterior intercostal vein are included in every intercostal space. The branches of the arteries are correspondent to their tributaries.
Anterior Intercostal Veins
- They’re present only in the upper 9 spaces.
- Every space includes 2 veins and accompanies the anterior intercostal arteries.
- In upper 6 spaces, they stop in the internal thoracic vein.
- In seventh, eighth, and ninth spaces, they stop in the musculophrenic vein.
Posterior Intercostal Veins
- They’re found in all the spaces.
- Every space includes only 1 posterior intercostal vein.
- Every vein accompanies the posterior intercostal artery.
- Its tributaries correspond to the branches of posterior intercostal artery.
The manner of drainage (conclusion) of posterior intercostal veins differs on the left and right sides.
Style of conclusion of left and right posterior intercostal veins.